Yes, this is simply a pizza, but with a couple new ideas:
- Mix minced habanero pepper into the sauce for an exciting bite!
- Cook the pizza atop baking parchment, so you don’t need oil or cornmeal.
Note that I didn’t say this “Philly” Cheese Steak because I’m not getting into the whole Cheeze Whiz debate, nor am I putting that stuff on my pizza. I’m also aware that an Italian may want me crucified for adulterating basil pesto with habanero pepper. :)
This pizza was prepared with a crust from Trader Joe’s fresh white pizza dough topped with the following:
- basil pesto (I used store-bought Trader Joe’s)
- one fresh habanero pepper, seeded, deveined, and finely minced and mixed into pesto
- swiss cheese
- round steak, cooked in advance (with salt and pepper), cut into small, thin pieces
- sharp cheddar cheese
- white button mushroom, sliced
- sweet onion, cut into strips
- green pepper, coarsely diced
- pecorino romano cheese
- dried oregano
This was baked in a 375-400° F oven for about 25 minutes.
I was pleased that I managed to make the crust rounder than my usual efforts. :)