Here’s a delicious stir-fried noodle dish with shrimp, inspired by similar dishes at a local Thai restaurant.
Ingredients (for 2):
- bean thread noodle (2 servings prepared, i.e., soaked in warm water or lightly boiled)
- raw shrimp, peeled and tails removed (from frozen, perhaps 8 per serving for 18-24 count-sized shrimp)
- baby bella mushroom, quartered (perhaps 6 mushrooms)
- bean sprouts (~1 cup)
- scallion (one per serving, white portion: finely chopped, greens: large diagonal pieces)
- minced garlic (2 cloves)
- canola oil (~1 T.)
- sesame oil
- toasted sesame seed (~ 1 T.)
- fish sauce (~2 T.)
- oyster sauce (~1 1/2 T.)
- lemon juice (~1 1/2 T.)
- honey (~1 t.)
- chili garlic sauce (~1/2 t.)
- water (add to prepare ~1/2 cup sauce in total, stir to dissolve honey)
In a pan on medium-high heat, begin stir-frying shrimp in oil, then add white scallion and garlic, and then mushroom. When shrimp are nearly cooked (perhaps 2-3 minutes), add 1/2 of the sauce (or earlier to prevent garlic from browning), stir, and add bean thread noodles and stir. Add remaining sauce, bean sprouts and scallion greens. Stir thoroughly and remove from heat when bean sprouts are only slightly tender but not limp. Sprinkle sparingly with sesame oil and top with sesame seed.
Plate and garnish with a spoonful of chili garlic sauce and fresh pea shoots!